Sunday, June 18, 2006

Notes

Rachel's blog is on hold while she travels the midwest with Missoula Children's Theater. It is a grand adventure for her, but the change of pace is shocking from bicycling everywhere to driving a little red truck 6,000 miles. She'll resume her blog in September, but not from Missoula...

We've learned we'll be moving to Portland, OR (of all places!) in late August for the next few years. We can't really imagine living in a place with such an established bicycle culture. I look forward to meeting you Portlanders or Stumptownians (or whatever you call yourselves) and to riding some new roads in your beautiful corner of the world. I've lived in a semi-arid valley for 8 years now, and I've been riding in Thunderstorms lately to try to recall my rain sense.

It will be odd to live in a place where just riding bikes isn't an identity in itself. Here, we are Joe and Rachel, that kooky couple that bikes everywhere. From what I've heard/read, we may not seem that kooky in Portland (well, at least not for cycling).

I apologize for the post drought here lately. Between sending Rachel off, teaching summer school, and soaking up as much of this corner of the world as I can before leaving, I've had some full days. I'll try to start making up for it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Byron said...

Joe, sorry to hear you're leaving Missoula. But it's for Portland, so I'm not really sorry. Let's hear some more biking and fishing stories before you leave.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you have to move somewhere, I'm glad to hear it is someplace with a rep for being bike-friendly.
Have a great time!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Keasty said...

Sounds a good move Joe and Rachael.
Fay and I are currently relaxing on Vancouver Island. On 25 June we are due to head to Olympia and then down to Eugene and Corvallis joining the North West Tandem Rally. So, we'll try some of the roads and trails you're just thinking about. All the best for the move.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to welcome you to Portland. I've been reading your blog for a year now and I'll look foward to meeting you.

Patrick.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back before I committed to my current endeavor, my wife and I considered trying life in a different city. Again and again, Portland kept coming up as the place to be. Of course, during the two times I visited Western Montana, I could only fantasize about what it must be like to live there.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Gino Zahnd said...

So what're you guys going to be doing in P-town? Welcome to the left coast.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Kronda said...

Hey Joe,

I wrote you a little welcome: http://ephany.blogspot.com/

I think you'll like it here in P-town. :)

1:28 AM  
Blogger Kent Peterson said...

And now I'll have yet another pal in Portland. I think you'll like it.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome! Do you know where in the Portland area you'll be living? It will be very interesting to read about the transition and how someone steeped in the bicycling conditions of another city finds my home town.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Michael, thanks for the welcome. No, we don't know where we'll be yet. We'll probably put out a request for some rental/location help as the time gets nearer.

It'd be fun to ride with you sometime.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best of luck! Keep us informed....

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i missed this post until today -- welcome to portland! we can probably put you up a couple nights if you need a housing scouting base.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home